Buying a New House: the Professionals you May Need to Deal with

  • Posted in Removals
  • Published on Monday, 13 May 2013
  • No Comments
Buying a New House: the Professionals you May Need to Deal with Moving house, eh? There’s just so much to do; so much to think about isn’t there?Well, here’s a bit of a check-list of professionals that you may have to deal with as you progress through the process of moving home. We should warn you that this is not a definitive list, but it may serve as a reminder of things that you need to do and professionals that you need to contact: Before you Move•    Mortgage company – it is a really good idea to have your offer of a mortgage in place before you begin house-hunting in earnest. Many companies issue a certificate which proves that you have a provisional offer in place and this can help you to negotiate a deal with the vendor once you have found a property that you like.•    Estate Agents – you will need to work with these if you have a property to sell and when you are searching for/have found your new home.Once You’ve Found that Forever Home•    Solicitors – gulp! There’s that word that makes everything so real...and so serious. Joking apart, you will need to find yourself a reliable and trustworthy conveyancing solicitor who specialises in handling the sales and purchase of homes. We cannot stress enough the importance of using a specialised law firm to handle your move. Some of the things that they will deal with on your behalf (and as a result you won’t have to worry about) include:1.    Land registry.2.    Land searches.3.    Mining/subsidence searches.4.    History of disputes between neighbours.5.    Whether your property is listed and as a result will have restrictions in place as to what you can and can’t do with the property once you’ve bought it.6.    Sales and/or purchase contracts.7.    Exchange of sales and/or purchase contracts.8.    Handling the exchange of monies on each transaction.The list goes on, but we hope you get the idea that a good conveyancing solicitor is essential.•    Surveyors/Structural engineers – it is recommended that all properties should have some sort of structural survey carried out to ensure that the property that you want to purchase is sound and is not going to fall down on you at any time soon! Indeed, if you need a mortgage in order to purchase the property (as most of us do unfortunately) the mortgage company will insist on a survey being carried out on their behalf. However, it is often advisable to have your own survey completed too. There are varying degrees of structural survey and your mortgage company and/or solicitor may well be able to recommend which survey is appropriate for your circumstances.•    Removal firm, van hire or man with a van – most people need some sort of professional help with their move.•    Utility companies – once you have a moving date you will need to ensure that you have notified your gas and electricity suppliers to ensure that they obtain a final meter reading.•    Telephone/Internet providers.•    Banks and credit card companies.•    Online shopping accounts.•    Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – it is an offence to fail to notify the DVLA of a change of address in respect of your driving licence. If you own a vehicle, you will also need to have your vehicle registration document details changed too.•    Council tax.•    Passport Office.•    Television licensing.•    Insurance companies.•    Royal Mail – the Royal Mail operate a service whereby they will forward any mail that is inadvertently sent to your old address. Details of how to set this up can be found online.Here’s hoping that our list will help your move to be a stress-free and organised as it can be. Remember, there is a lot to do and think about but there is usually plenty of time for you to do it all if you start to plan early.

Leave a Reply